Tuesday, September 23, 2014

this made me smile

my sweet seven year old (just today! what??!! how is my baby seven????) shared a funny happening with me last week when he returned from school.  he was unloading his backpack and had a particular expression on his face.  the typical expression quickly alerted me that he had something to tell me, and it wasn't necessarily good.  so, i jumped right in...
 
me: "AJ, what's up?  you look like you have something to tell me...did something happen at school today?"
AJ: "yeah"  nodding his head slowly, his big eyes looked serious, as though whatever happened had been monumental, like "a visit to the principal" sort of stuff....
me: "what happened?"
AJ: barely above a whisper "i told B. that i liked her today and she said she is going to tell the teacher on me."
me: "oh, okay...well, what would make her want to tell the teacher?  were you doing anything else that would upset her?"  :) i've been at this long enough....it just didn't add up.
AJ: "well, actually i told her i didn't like her~ i loved her, and i was staring at her and following her at recess..."  there, it was out....i sensed his relief.
me: "uh-huh....that makes more sense now.  do you think you were creeping her out a bit with the stalking routine annoying her a little with all of those things?"
AJ: "yes, and she said she's going to tell the teacher on Monday!!" he wasn't happy about that one bit...

a sweet conversation ensued about crushes and nice, pretty girls and how to handle these feelings when you are six years old...i think he gets it now.  i kept my facial expression focused and serious, because clearly to him this was significant and real.  later, i thought about how precious it had been to hear a little of his heart and feelings...this boy tends to wear his heart on his sleeve and i was happy to catch a glimpse of it that day...

No comments:

Post a Comment