Saturday, June 16, 2012

a few good men

how about you?  know any good men?  any that stand out in your world as top-notch, real-deal, manly men that live solid lives with character qualities that separate them from the masses?  i do.  i most definitely do.  which is special~ especially special when you consider we live in a society that seems to be running low on fine men of high standards. 
three stand out in my life, with many more deserving honourable mention.  my father-in-law, my dad and the father of my kids.  love them all so much.  some consistent core values shape these three.  strong work ethic, reliable, stable men who provide security and strength to those around them.  they are loyal to their wives and children.  they bring a special presence to their homes.  my father-in-law adds a dose of crazy to life which has nicely translated to his son.  makes life interesting and funny.  even if he hardly acknowledged me the first day i showed up at his home when i was seventeen years old (i'm over it, really i am....), he's pretty terrific now.  he is generous with his time and always willing to lend a hand to fix this or that...my dad is a rock, solid in his faith and sure of what is not seen.  love that...plus, he'd get up from a deep sleep and wait in my room until he found the mosquito that pestered me, without complaint...are you listening, Jeff???  while Jeff isn't so into rescuing me from annoying bugs, he is delightful still after all these years.  as i often tell him, he adds sunshine to my days (i know you are all wondering why i tell him this when his self-esteem is already so.......shall we say, healthy?).  he loves me~ and that's worth a lot.  he drives a mini van without shame, and i heard this week that the vehicle a man drives says a lot about his values and choices.  yep, and we don't have many any other choices, so i'm glad he's ok with this!  i think i'll keep him...
there are others too.  brothers, brothers-in-law, pastors, friends who model sacrificial love to their spouses and families...actually lots of men i know that stand out as excellent!  to all of the above, today we celebrate you and wish you a really Happy Father's Day.  thanks for making a difference!  now go grab the Kleenex cuz i probably made you all cry...admit it...

No comments:

Post a Comment